Katie is a solicitor in the Wills, Trusts and Probate Services team.
Katie graduated from University College Northampton with first class Honours Degree in Law before passing the Legal Practice Course in Guildford and being awarded her Diploma (with commendation).
Katie began her training contract with Bennett Griffin in 2006 and qualified as a Solicitor in the Wills, Probate, Trusts, Tax and Elderly Client Services Department in July 2008.
Katie has been fortunate enough to travel quite extensively in Europe and America and particularly enjoys skiing.
- Qualified as a Solicitor 2008
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice with Commendation from The College of Law, 2005
- LLB (Hons) Law (First Class) from the University College Northampton, 2004
Mrs B sadly lost her husband who had always dealt with their financial affairs. Bennett Griffin were appointed as Executors to deal with the administration of the estate, to relieve Mrs B of such a demanding role as such a difficult time. Mrs B had no family in the country and therefore asked Bennett Griffin to be her Attorneys, which we were happy to do. I therefore prepared a Lasting Power of Attorney for Mrs B which enabled me to deal with Mrs B’s financial affairs on her behalf. This practical assistance put her mind at rest and relieved her of the unnecessary stress and worry that she experienced at such a difficult time. Mrs B found it extremely difficult to cope with the loss of her husband and subsequently went into care, following a number of recommendations from a trusted third party who was also able to carry out a Care Review and offer counselling. The Lasting Power of Attorney enabled me to consider the financial implications of her long term care needs due to her change in circumstances. I was able to place the property on the market, deal with the utilities and general upkeep of the property, whilst keeping Mrs B fully informed of the decisions being made. Mrs B has sadly now passed away and Bennett Griffin were also appointed as Executors of her estate, following the assistance provided to Mrs B during her lifetime.
When Mr F came to see me recently to discuss making a new Will, we discussed the assets in his estate for Inheritance Tax purposes. Having recently inherited from his late sister’s estate, Mr F’s estate exceeded the current Inheritance Tax threshold, leaving an Inheritance Tax liability of £40,000. I advised Mr F that if he executed a Deed of Variation, redirecting part of his inheritance to his children, then his Inheritance Tax liability would be significantly reduced. Mr F was also able to benefit from independent financial advice provided by BG Wealth, the Financial Planning arm of Bennett Griffin.
Areas of Expertise
Her areas of specialism include:
- Probate and estate administration including;
- Intestate estates (deceased had no Will);
- Inheritance Tax calculations, payments and negotiations with HMRC;
- Post death variations.
Wills and Codicils
- Advising clients on various issues
- Appointing Executors and Trustees
- Appointing Guardians for minor children
- Funeral directions
- Specific gifts and monetary legacies
- Drafting Wills, Codicils, Secret Trusts, Memorandum/Letter of Wishes
- Tax planning – minimising Inheritance Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Income Tax
- Life Interest Trusts, Discretionary Trusts, Disabled Persons Trusts and Trusts for Minors
- Second Marriages and protecting assets
- Advice regarding potential claims against an estate
Powers of Attorney
- Advising clients on both Property and Affairs and Health and Welfare Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs), procedure, preparation and registration process
- Advising clients on General Powers of Attorney;
- Registration of Enduring Powers of Attorney (EPAs);
- Advising clients on objections to registering Powers of Attorney;
- Advising clients in their capacity as Attorney.
Court of Protection work
- Advising clients on the preparation, procedures and costs of making a Deputyship Application for the benefit of people who have lost mental capacity
- Acting for Attorneys to respond to objections made to the registration of EPAs and LPAs.
Advance Directives/Decisions (Living Wills)
- Advising Clients and drafting statements explaining what medical treatment the client would not want in the future if they lacked mental capacity
- Considering appropriateness of alternative – Health and Welfare LPA.
Katie’s hourly rate is £235 plus VAT
- The Law Society
- The Private Client Section of the Law Society
- Currently studying for Solicitors for the Elderly accreditation
- Dementia Friends (An Alzheimer’s Society Initiative)
“Helped out over and beyond in Covid Lockdown situation” “Really appreciate Katie and her colleagues help & support in difficult circumstances. Friendly, professional, efficient & helpful”
Client Feedback | Katie Foan | Private Client